Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Reading List

I never thought of myself as a book lover. Really. I always had so many friends who read with a disturbing voraciousness that I couldn't even compete with, and of course, being a competitive person (and balanced, I'd like to think) since I couldn't compete, I didn't try.

That's not to say I didn't read, I did. I read lots for school, hundreds and hundreds of pages, and while I'll confess, I skimmed more books than I should have (thus I never even knew there was a dragon in The Hobbit), I did read. So when it came to my free time books were pretty much off the to-do list and friends and art and whatever random obsession I had that week was on.

So I have to say I've really been incredibly surprised to realize post-graduation that I like to read.

I noticed it once in a while in college. I would pick reading Moby Dick over studying psychology any day.  Beowulf found way more space in my life than whatever else I probably should have been doing that semester, but even so, when we hit a weekend I did not pick up a book for fun. I did once, one finals week I got a youth fiction book, The Tale of Despereaux from the library and read it when my brain was bleeding from studying.

You'll understand my surprise with myself this summer as I've been consuming books like they're going out of style. I suppose it has to do with my having plenty of time and a general lack of intellectual stimulation. It's also back to that competitiveness though and I just want to start paging through those list of books I've always intended to read.

With that I thought I'd share some of the books I've been reading and a few thoughts, nothing complete, because that would feel like a 10th grade writing assignment and lets face it, I'd go on for miles, and you'd be better off spending your time on Anna Karenina like me (this week)

1) Age of Innocence - Edith Wharton
Phillip turned me on to this little gem. About a hundred pages in other than a few fabulous lines that I sat and re-read about 10 times, I didn't get his enthusiasm for the book. But by the end I was ready to add "everything by Edith Wharton" to my reading list. She's a master. She knows exactly how to frame a story, where to use symbolism, what to say and what not to stay. It's luscious. Reading to chew on.

2) Quitting Church - Julia Duin
This was a fascinating read. A religion writer for The Washington Times, Duin explores a trends in Christians leaving the church, not giving up faith, but abandoning the church. It's fairly anecdotal, but what she said sounded like fair assessments from what I've seen personally. Duin doesn't try and solve the problem, she does discusss what some people have found as solutions (namely, house churches and Orthodoxy actually came up quite a bit as well) but I think she points out a lot of flaws in the modern church without slipping in to lambasting. She has a fascinating chapter on singles. I appreciated her hesitation towards seeker-sensitive and growth/business based churches. Very interesting. If anyone picks it up and walks to talk about it...call me!

3) A Long Way Gone: Memoirs of a Boy Soldier - Ishmael
This one's an auto biography by a boy who lived in Sierra Leone. His Village was destroyed by Rebels in the 90s. He spent years running and scrounging just trying to stay alive while seeing absolutely tragic events. After running for years he ends up being recruited (if you can call it that) by the national army and fighting. His life in the army is essentially drugs, scouting and shooting. He is eventually taken for rehabilitation and ends up living in the US (don't worry, he gives that away page one). The writing is nothing amazing, though a few of his descriptions were fabulous. In general, this one will make you bleed a bit inside, but it's a fascinating glimpse into a life I never knew people had to live.

4) Love Medicine - Louise Erdrich
This one Marcella told me about when I was in Spain. In general, it follows families on an indian reservation. Erdrich reminds me in some ways of Edith Wharton's story telling, she knows when to not say something and she knows how to pull in allusions to make her stories have a weightyness to them. But it is sad. It honestly rivaled A Long Way Gone I think. The characters are very real and the problems are  too. There's a lot of sadness, but it was so well done. Because of the pathos I'm not sure I'd pick up another book of hers (there are plenty) at least not for a while, but I did really enjoy this novel.

5) Anne Karenina - Leo Tolstoy
I started this when I was about 13. My moral sensibilities couldn't believe someone would right a whole book about an affair and I dismissed it and returned it to the library. Apparently I think there's more to literature now than everyone acting out a perfect moral code. So far, I'm loving it. I'm reading the translation by Pevear and Volokhonsky, which I was thrilled to see our library had. I loved their renditions of Dostoevsky's Crime and Punishment and Brothers Karamzov. Since I'm only 50 pages in I don't have a lot to say yet, except that I adore every character I've met in the book so far and I adore Russian literature enough to make me sometimes contemplate learning Russian and getting a masters in it. (But then who am I kidding, what haven't I contemplated getting a masters in?)


That's everything that comes to mind for the moment. I could put Hunchback of Notre Dame on their I suppose (Another pathos filled, fascinating book I'd love to discuss with anyone else who's read it) but I'm tired of typing.

While were on the topic, anyone have any recommendations? What have you been reading?


2 comments:

meghan miller said...

you're back!
I have lots of book comments at onebookonemonth.wordpress.com! Feel free to continue your book comments there and link back to yours if you wish!

(I also wanted to comment that I want to see some pics of your paintings :)

Jessica Holmes said...

Hi Meghan! Yeah, really! It's been a while, right?

I really like your book blog, but it stresses me out...because I'm not quite sure what to write, so I like reading it, but otherwise I get all English-major-antsy about what to post to really sum up a book. (I know, bad excuse :-p)

As for pictures, I'm kinda embarrassed by my paintings now. I'll look at them again. Maybe I'll get over myself. Every time I see them though I see what I need to do to fix it. Perfectionist problem.