Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Reunions and more goodbyes!

Tonight was an incredibly fabulous night. I got to see most of the people that I knew here in Libreville at a dinner party that Mamma Jeannine put together. She was there and her husband Pasteur Jean Marc and Joseph who drives them places and for a little while their son Yoann was there too. Pasteur Jacob was there too and mamma Perrine and Christine, they work with the Mobile medical clinic and I helped them in the pharmacy part of these trips about a million years ago when I was last in Libreville! 

It was neat because I was able to finally talk with them all! My ability to speak French is so much greater than when I was here last! I remember sitting in that same room and only being able to catch words here and there and not being able to say much more than, "how are you." And tonight I understood pretty much everything. I was able to actually talk with them! It was really amazing.

They  made incredible food, which is no surprise really. I felt to special though! They really went all out. They even gave me a necklace and a blue dress as a gift! It was so kind! 

So we all sang and ate and talked and prayed and it was really fantastic. 

In the car on the way back I got to talk with a new nurse here, Erickan who graduated from the nursing program in Bongolo. He was really nice and it was neat because I could carry on a whole conversation with him! Hurray. 

On the way back we also got the van stuck in a ditch and everyone had toget out and we had to help push it out. That was pretty exciting! On the way to dinner it felt like we almost tipped the whole thing over. We kept scraping the bottom and the bumper on all these holes. It was a crazy ride. Thankfully, we all made it out safely! 

Today we also got to go to Mon Buet, the big open air market here. It was fun, it's so chaotic there and there is so much to see. We went with the straws after eating lunch at their house (which was amazing! Grilled Cheese, with real american cheese! Yum.)

I also got my Visa de sortie today. That was easy we walked in, I showed the lady my carte desejour and she handed my passport with the visa de sortie and we were done. It took about 1 minute. There was almost no one there so that was very different than the packed house when we went to start the process last week!

Alright, tomorrow I'm repacking and there are some meetings here and then I think Tim and Meredith and Leanne have their French lesson. Dinner is over at the Straws and then we pick up some of the new interns at the aiport at midnight! So....it's busy here. I'll write next when I get a chance!

à la prochaine,

Jessica

No comments: