Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Moving and the beach

19 August 2008

 

Today we moved a bunch of stuff out of the Center that is the straw’s to take it to their new place. Then the guys went to the Bible school where more stuff was stored and got that all taken out of storage while Tim got a truck. But Tim got pulled over so things got exciting. I guess he was missing a document or something some rendevous with the police got thrown into the mix of loading the stuff from here and the bible school into the truck. Everything worked out though. We took it all to the Straw’s house and then went  back to the Solvig’s where the guys finished taking down the wall with a sledgehammer and screened the Solvig’s front door.

 

Sidenote: Jaunti is a funny kitty. I picked her up for a second and she’s in her cuddly mood which means she purrs like a motor and then wants to suck on your hand because she seems to think she’s nursing. But it’s a little tricky to type with a cat trying to lick you...

 

AnywayI helped get some things ready for lunch at the Solvig’s and gave some papers to Songoy so I can get my “carte de jour” (or something like that) it’s kinda like a visa I think except it means I live here (for a year anyway) and then I can just carry my little card instead of a copy of my passport.

 

There was a doctor from Mali and his wife and little girl at the Solvig’s too. I guess he’s going to learn surgery at Bongolo. He knew Barry and Terry Newman and Germain. So that was cool. He’s learning English because all the medical tests and things he’s going to have to take will be in English, so I got to talk to him a little bit. Then I played with Katie (the youngest Solvig). After that we went to the beach. It was fun. I learned how to body surf; I’m a lot better at drowning though. I kept going under the waves and sputtering. I’m not big fan of saltwater or sand, but it wasn’t too bad. I got used to the burning eyes and nose and lungs by the end. Ironically, it was cold (I never thought when packing thatI’d be cold here...) It was nice though.

 

The team of guys is leaving tomorrow to go out to the boonies and help a British missionary set up her plumbing, etc. better. She’s creating the written side of a language out there.

 

I think then we’re going to be talking some more about what exactly I’m going to be doing while here.

 

Thanks for all the messages guys!

 

Jessica

 

No comments: